The WheeLED Wavelength-Switchable Microscope LED Light Source for Fluorescence Excitation
The WheeLED microscope LED light source, developed and produced by Mightex Systems, is a switchable wavelength unit, ready to be mounted on existing lamp ports of various microscopes to replace traditional light sources such as incandescent lamps and arc lamps.
It is a great option for researchers who require the flexibility of having access to a wide range of wavelengths (up to 9 wavelength modules per unit), typically offered by Arc lamps, but who also want to benefit from the LED characteristics.
Why a Microscope LED instead of Arc Lamps?
LEDs have many desirable features for fluorescence microscopy applications:
- Microscope LED intensity can be directly modulated through driving current. This gives you accurate control over intensity, which means less bleaching and phototoxicity, and no need for neutral density filters.
- LEDs also have a fast response time, in some cases as short as 10ns. It is easy to coordinate LED illumination time with camera acquisition time, decreasing the likelihood of bleaching and phototoxicity.
- Another feature of LEDs is their high stability and repeatability of output intensity compared to that of short-arc lamps. For this reason LED microscope light sources are fast becoming the leading choice for quantitative measurements.
- LED light sources are also compact and dissipating less heat than many other light sources, leading to healthier samples.
- Finally, the long lifetime of LEDs translates into low cost of ownership and trouble-free operation possibly for the lifetime of the microscope.
The WheeLED Way of Combining LED Wavelengths
Many applications require wavelength-switchable sources. Mightex’s WheeLEDTM wavelength-switchable microscope LED sources let users manually switch between a selection of LED sources mounted on a hand wheel, with different wavelengths and/or white LEDs.
The light exiting the unit is collimated into a liquid light guide, which is connected to the microscope epifluorescence LED microscope illuminator via a collimating adapter.
When is the WheeLED Microscope Lighting Systems the Ideal Light Source for Your Lab?
With 9 wavelengths at your disposal, you are unlikely to run out of options for exciting the majority of fluorescent dyes. Some other benefits of Mightex’s WheeLED are that:
- Since the unit is light guide coupled into the microscope, you don’t need to adjust mirror or beamsplitter sliders on a microscope-mounted LED unit when switching wavelengths. This is ideal for the patch clamper who wants to eliminate vibrations on the setup.
- The majority of applications don’t require fast switching between different wavelengths, which means that motorised sliders and wheels are often unnecessary. The manual switching mechanism on Mightex’s WheeLED simplifies the setup, with attractive cost savings.
These light sources also employ aspherical collimating optics to generate uniform illumination at the sample plane. Light is collimated in a way that optimizes light delivery, which means that you lose the minimum amount of light before it arrives at the sample level.
Flexible Control Options
The WheeLED unit can be used with a range of Mightex LED controllers. We would recommend the
- SLB-1200-1 – manual and analog control with display by Mightex Systems
- SLC-MA01-U – computer control, USB interface, compact size by Mightex Systems
Talk to us about which option would be most suitable for your application and to know more about LED microscope prices.
Please visit the Mightex Systems website to find more information about the Switchable wavelength collimated microscope LED.
Standard adapters are available for the MCI CleverScope, Leica DMI, Nikon Eclipse, Olympus IX and BX, and Zeiss Axioskop microscopes.